Saturday, January 1, 2011

Spey casting for steelhead A few things that might help me.

A couple things I need to do to improve my casting, which is inconsistent. One thing I keep forgetting to do is to let my fly settle a little longer at the beginning of the cast, before the sweep to establish an anchor. I notice Ed Ward doing that here. Watch the very last cast...And as a result his fly sweeps around close to his body- he swings wide with the rod tip and creates centrifugal force going out and around before his forward cast. Also seen here beggining at about the 16 second mark on this neat clip.

Also, sense my double spey is not my favorite cast and I'm always fishing river right and I came across this cast watching George Cook, one of my favorite casters on the Rio Skagit Flight trailor. Its the double spey poke, seen at about the 1:34 mark- a handy cast for sure, which I must remember next time. I'm writing this so I will not forget it.
DOUBLE SPEY POKE. Ok, now I'll remember.

Also, I ran into this which is cool- although I'm not "down" with the music. Sounds like the guy is having a cow. BUT- its interesting and might help me with my double spey. One thing thats weird- I feel confident with a snap T or Circle C which isnt all that much different than the double spey, so maybe I need to think snap T when doing the double spey and see what happens. Kind of combine the two if possible- we will see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment